Confirmation is the second sacrament of initiation, although it is normally received third. According to the Catechism of the Catholic Church (CCC), "By the sacrament of Confirmation, [the baptized] are more perfectly bound to the Church and are enriched with a special strength of the Holy Spirit. Hence they are, as true witnesses of Christ, more strictly obliged to spread and defend the faith by word and deed" (par. 1285).
Like Baptism, Confirmation can only be received once since it imprints on our soul an indelible spiritual mark. At Confirmation, we are marked with the seal of the Holy Spirit.
Candidates intending to receive Confirmation at Sacred Heart Church must be enrolled and participate in education classes in a Catholic School or Religious Education Program.
- Candidates must be enrolled from the beginning of the school year and must complete all diocesan and parish requirements to receive the Sacrament of Confirmation.
- Family must register with Sacred Heart Church.
- Candidates and their families must attend Sunday liturgy regularly and be actively involved in parish life.
- Candidates must be at least in the 8th grade (13 years old).
- Candidates for Confirmation must provide a copy of Baptismal, First Reconciliation, and First Eucharist certificate.
Candidates planning to receive the sacrament are required to have (2) two years of prior Religious Education to receive the sacrament. Those who move into the parish during the summer or in the course of the year may certainly register and enroll the children in Religious Education. Those who are in the 8th grade must show proof of one year of religious education at their former parish. A letter from the priest or Director of Religious Education is sufficient. This letter should be mailed by the former parish directly to the Sacred Heart Church office to the attention of the Religious Education Director.
Retreats: Confirmation Spectacular, October 25, 2014, St. Theresa, Albany, GA,10am - 5pm